Reporting to the Manager of Community Safety, the Community Safety Officer provides community safety and communications in support of students, staff, faculty, and visitors to Choate Rosemary Hall.
The predominant shift is 12 midnight - 8 am. This is a full-time, year round, benefits eligible position.
Duties and responsibilities:
- Respond to all alarms on campus. Convey information regarding alarms in a timely and professional manner to the appropriate organization (Police, Fire, Facilities Services, etc.).
- Respond to requests for assistance from the Choate Rosemary Hall community in a timely manner.
- Perform vehicle shift patrols on campus. This includes, but is not limited to, security patrol, fire watch, locked or unlocked doors and windows, campus lighting, suspicious activities, parking control, crowd and traffic control for special events and outside vendors on campus. Must be a visible presence on campus and have the ability to communicate professionally with all constituents of the Choate community.
- Answer incoming calls as required. Direct callers to appropriate person, dispense information, and dispatch community safety officers.
- Provide inspection services and reports for emergency lighting, exit lighting, and fire alarm drills on a scheduled basis.
- Complete daily shift reports and work orders.
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
- Previous public safety or security experience required.
- Valid CT driver's license and good driving record required.
- CT Guard card required within 6 months of hire.
- AED and CPR certification required within one year of hire. Other life safety certifications may be required in the future.
- Have the ability to work independently and project a positive customer service attitude.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills required.
- Have the ability to cope with high stress situations in a calm, procedural manner.
- Basic computer skills required.
- Must have the ability to walk and climb up and down stairs.