Choate Rosemary Hall seeks a Director for the Andrew Mellon Library. The Director will articulate a clear strategic vision for the Library, and in translating this vision into concrete objectives, assume a leadership role both at the School and in the national conversation about such matters. The successful applicant will be a gifted manager, collaborator, and problem-solver who is well prepared to navigate the changing role of libraries today. In addition to overseeing the daily operation of the Library, the Director identifies and develops the educational program's resource needs and guides teachers and students in how best to take advantage of these resources.
The Director of the Andrew Mellon Library is a 46-week administrative faculty position reporting to the Director of Studies. He or she assumes overall responsibility for the Andrew Mellon Library and the Choate Rosemary Hall Archives, both during the academic year and for Choate Summer Programs.
1. To fulfill these responsibilities, the Director of the Andrew Mellon Library
promotes the library program within and beyond the school:
- establishes, in concert with the Director of Studies, the priorities for library programs and monitors progress towards those goals.
- promotes the library as a cultural and intellectual center, including hosting and planning events and exhibits.
- actively participates in the life of the School, integrating the Library into the core of the academic program by making connections with faculty and students.
- identifies and implements best practices and new technologies in libraries and information technology, seeking opportunities to improve the program and leverage emerging resources and technologies.
- works with library faculty to engage students, faculty, and the greater school community and encourage and support their use of the library
- collaborates with Development and Alumni Relations as appropriate to gain external support for the library program
- develops and maintains relationships with library professionals at other secondary and post-secondary institutions and stays abreast of trends and best practices in library management
directs library operations:
- manages the budget for all Library programs and stewards endowed library accounts and library-restricted gifts.
- establishes procedures for efficient library operations and ensures the appropriate academic atmosphere.
- collaborates with the School Archivist to ensure that the archive program is well managed and evolves to meet the needs of the school.
- works with Information Technology Services, Facilities Services, and ABM to maintain the library's technology and physical plant.
supervises library personnel:
- encourages library faculty to be imaginative in their areas of leadership/responsibilities and to seek out professional development opportunities.
- works with the library and archive staff to support them in the execution of their specific responsibilities.
- maintains job descriptions for each member of the library staff, supervises their work, and evaluates their performance annually.
manages the library collection:
- actively participates in the acquisition program by reading a wide variety of reviews for print, non-print, and electronic resources.
- collaborates with librarians and faculty to make final acquisition decisions regarding print, non-print, and electronic resources, ensuring that the collection supports teaching and learning.
- directs and participates in the formal weeding of the collection to ensure that it features the best material available.
- curates student and faculty work as appropriate for display and/or retention within the collection
oversees access, instruction, and reference:
- collaborates with librarians, ITS, and web manager to ensure that the library website is an effective gateway to all library resources.
- works with the library cataloger and database manager to ensure that the library catalog is a stable, consistent, and effective tool for information retrieval.
- encourages departments and faculty to collaborate with librarians to ensure that students acquire appropriate information literacy and research skills.
- prepares general orientation sessions and demonstrates specific databases to classes as requested.
- works with students on a one-on-one basis to teach them how to find appropriate materials and use advanced library databases.
2. The Director of the Andrew Mellon Library carries residential life and advising responsibilities.
3. The Director of the Andrew Mellon Library takes on other duties as assigned by the Headmaster, Dean of Faculty, or Director of Studies.
An MLS or relevant credentials in education, demonstrated leadership in academic library services, and five or more years of experience in library program management are required. The successful candidate will be a patient and focused visionary, able to collaborate with varied constituencies, and bring distinctive personal and professional energy to a community that holds high standards for citizenship and hard work. We are seeking candidates with knowledge or experience of student engagement, pedagogical practices, and assessment of student learning outcomes.
Choate Rosemary Hall is a coeducational, independent secondary school located in central Connecticut with 850 boarding and day students and over 300 employees. Choate serves intellectually gifted and motivated students of diverse backgrounds from across the globe whose commitment to serious study is enhanced in an academically challenging and personally supportive setting.
Interested candidates should submit a cover letter and resume to Kathy White, Administrative Assistant to the Dean of Faculty, at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include the position you are applying for in subject line.
Applications will be considered until the position has been filled.