The Instruction and Outreach Librarian Fellowship is a one-year, 42-week faculty position reporting to the Director of Studies.
Andrew Mellon Library Overview
The Andrew Mellon Library at Choate Rosemary Hall is at the heart of teaching and learning. The Library's mission is to enhance the academic environment and support the education of each of our students. With the advent of the digital and technological revolution, the importance of this role is amplified. Library faculty collaborate with teaching faculty to help students learn information and technology literacy skills. Instruction in research strategies, evaluation of sources, and citing resources are offered in a variety of flexible models. Students, faculty, and staff have access to over 190,000 titles including 130,000 eBooks and over 50 scholarly databases. In addition, the library makes available textbooks, laptops, iPads, chargers, headphones, and other technologies to the Choate community and actively works with student groups and faculty to host academic and social programs.
The Andrew Mellon Library at Choate Rosemary Hall seeks a dynamic educator-librarian to join a blended faculty librarian team. This person will partner with colleagues to design and teach bibliographic instruction classes utilizing innovative learning technologies and pedagogies to support student learning. The successful candidate will have experience with library outreach, library programming, and social media initiatives. The individual will be motivated and team-oriented with broad experience in academic librarianship, information literacy, and pedagogical best practices. We are looking for an individual who is a self-starter and eager to participate in a collegial partnership.
To fulfill the responsibilities, the Instruction/Outreach Librarian:
- Serves as a member of the library's research and instruction team
- Develops user-centered tools for research and instruction units in collaboration with librarian colleagues
- Provides relevant embedded instruction in research and citation skills
- Utilizes innovative learning technologies and pedagogies in support of student learning
- Assists faculty, staff and student research, providing assistance online and in-person, for both one-on-one research consultations and at service points in the library
- Participates in a collegial team environment with other faculty librarians to oversee and manage collections and services
- Works with others to select print and electronic sources to support the curriculum
- Oversees the social media program of the Andrew Mellon Library
- Supports the Library Director to plan and execute library programming and conferences
- Monitors the work of the library support staff on projects and during evening shifts
- Engages in ongoing professional development
- Oversees the library during Summer Programs, coordinating the work of support staff and collaborating with summer faculty to support teaching and learning
- Masters Degree in Library Science from an accredited college or university
- 3-5 years library experience in an academic setting or independent school environment
- Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively
- Excellent written, verbal and interpersonal skills
- Willingness to work some evenings and weekends
- Familiarity using emerging technologies for teaching including video production for flipped classroom instruction and using iPad apps as they relate to interactive classrooms
- Background in creating instructional tools using LibGuides
- Experience with assessment of student learning outcomes
The Instruction and Outreach Librarian assists the Director of the Andrew Mellon Library in the implementation of all library policies and takes on other duties as assigned by the Headmaster or Director of the Andrew Mellon Library.
Interested candidates should submit a cover letter and resume to Kathy White, Administrative Assistant to the Dean of Faculty, at email@example.com. Please include position applying for in subject line. Applications will be considered until the position has been filled.Choate Rosemary Hall is a coeducational, independent secondary school located in central Connecticut with 864 boarding and day students and over 350 employees. Choate serves intellectually gifted and motivated students of diverse backgrounds from across the globe whose commitment to serious study is enhanced in an academically challenging and