Rosemary Hall, a school for girls, was founded in 1890 by Mary Atwater Choate. In 1896 Mary’s husband, Judge William G. Choate, established The Choate School for boys on the same family property in Wallingford. In 1900, Rosemary Hall moved its campus to Greenwich and another 70 years would pass before Rosemary Hall “came home” to Wallingford.
After the merger in 1974, the combined school built on the strengths of its common roots and shared purpose, inspiring excellence for future generations of students. The appointment of Dr. Alex D. Curtis as Head of School in 2011 continues on the path of accomplishment established by previous heads of Choate Rosemary Hall – Charles F. Dey and Edward J. Shanahan – bringing Choate to new levels of success, achievement, and recognition as a global leader in secondary education.
The school seal melds elements from The Choate School seal (1896–1981) and the Rosemary Hall seal (1890–1981). The broken sword means “tested in battle.” The three unbroken swords represent service to the king, for which an early Choate ancestor was awarded a knighthood by King Henry III.
The wild boar was in effect the Rosemary seal. The motto, Fidelitas et Integritas, (fidelity and integrity) was the first motto of The Choate School. The colors of the seal are Rosemary blue and Choate blue and gold.