The Teaching Intern Program at Choate Summer Programs provides current college students and recent college graduates with a rewarding opportunity to teach in an intellectually stimulating and supportive academic community. Interns have ample opportunity to teach, develop lesson plans, and evaluate student performance, and in turn receive feedback on their teaching from mentor teachers, department heads, and the Coordinator of the Teaching Intern Program. The internship program is particularly beneficial to those applicants who are interested in teaching in a residential college-preparatory or middle school institution. Approximately 24 teaching intern positions are offered each summer in English, HPRSS (History, Philosophy, Religion, Social Science), Languages (Arabic, French, Spanish, Latin), Mathematics, Computer Science, Robotics, Science (Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Environmental Science), as well as in our Signature Programs and Workshops. See Choate Summer Programs for more information on courses and programs.
Our immersive internship program provides a comprehensive experience from June 21, 2022 to July 31, 2022 in which interns:
- Live in a student dormitory and share advising and supervisory responsibilities with other interns and a veteran house adviser
- Work with one or two mentor teachers
- Help prepare activities, assignments, quizzes, projects, and other aspects of each assigned course
- Teach at least two full periods in each assigned course
- Observe 10 classes (other than one's own) during the program
- Coach middle school and high school sports in the afternoons
- Chaperone Student Activity trips off campus
- Chaperone Student Activity social and extracurricular events on campus
- Serve as an adviser for 8-10 students
- Write an adviser report for each advisee at the end of the program
- Attend Professional Development workshops for Teaching Interns each week
- Write and submit Self-Reflection and Program Evaluation before departing campus at the end of the program
In addition to your application, please upload two letters of recommendation from current professors or employers, as well as an unofficial transcript. Documents can also be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org with "Teaching Intern Application:" and full name in the subject line. In addition, an Official Transcript must be mailed directly from your college or university to Choate Summer Programs, 333 Christian Street, Wallingford, CT 06492.
Choate prohibits in all its programs, including hiring and employment practices, discrimination against or harassment of any member or group based upon age, gender, race, color, national origin, ancestry, religion, marital status, sexual orientation, disability, genetic information, gender identity or expression, veteran status, or any other category protected by Connecticut or federal law, except in the case of a bona fide occupational qualification.