Choate Rosemary Hall, an independent boarding school of 850 students in grades 9-12, seeks a physician with interest, training, and experience in adolescent medicine. The Medical Director oversees and maintains high-quality health care for students at Choate Rosemary Hall. This is a clinical position that is focused on patient care with minimal administrative responsibilities.
Choate takes a developmental approach to adolescent primary care, and has a ten-bed infirmary, traditional school nursing and 24/7 nursing coverage. Choate Health Services includes integrated mental health, extensive care coordination, pharmacy service, an established referral network and transportation to off-campus appointments. Choate has a collaborative health services team that includes nurse practitioners, clinical psychologists and social workers, a consulting psychiatrist, registered nurses, clinical assistants, and athletic trainers on-site.
The Medical Director is a 46-week administrative faculty position reporting to Choate's Director of Health and Wellness Services.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
- Provides primary care to Choate Rosemary Hall students throughout the academic year and when Choate Summer Programs is in session;
- Admits to local hospitals and maintains privileges with Yale-New Haven Hospital and MidState Medical Center;
- Coordinates medical team meetings and works in collaboration with the consulting psychiatrist as well as other members of the health services team;
- Identifies, maintains, and utilizes a medical referral network;
- Prioritizes preventive services, including school-wide initiatives, such as flu clinics;
- Supports health and wellness programming;
- Maintains professional relationships with with private and public health organizations and professionals;
- Maintains clinical quality of health services and ensures professional development of clinical staff and faculty;
- Participates in the development and maintenance of complete, accurate, and timely electronic medical records;
- Shares on-call responsibilities with the nurse practitioner;
- Collaborates with the Director of Counseling, Athletic Trainers, and other members of the Choate Health Services team to provide high quality health care for students;
- Works with the Dean of Students, Director of Studies, and Director of Choate Health and Wellness Services on medical leaves;
- Coordinates communications, when appropriate, with external health professionals working with students on medical leave;
- Consults with and supports the administration in identifying and implementing school-wide policies related to student health.
- Graduate of an approved medical school and licensed to practice medicine in the State of Connecticut;
- Demonstrated training, experience, and commitment to adolescent health;
- Demonstrated understading of and training in the delivery of culturally competent care;
- Board Certification in pediatric/adolescent medicine/developmental pediatrics or eligible to be certified within two years;
- Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to interact and work effectively with students, parents, and other employees at all levels with warmth, tact and professionalism;
- Willingness to work in a team with other members of the department and demonstrated interest in collaborative practice;
- Satisfactory completion of a routine background check.
The Medical Director takes on other duties as assigned by the Head of School, Dean of Faculty, Dean of Students, or Director of Health and Wellness Services.
Interested candidates should submit a cover letter and resume to Kathy White, Administrative Assistant to the Dean of Faculty, at email@example.com. Please include the position you are applying for in subject line.
Applications will be considered until the position has been filled.