The teaching intern program affords college students the opportunity to gain classroom experience under the supervision of a mentor teacher. This rewarding experience in an intellectually stimulating, supportive, and engaging academic community is particularly beneficial for those interested in teaching at a boarding school.
We offer approximately 27 teaching intern positions. The ability to teach in varied subject areas is beneficial.
Internship Dates: Wednesday, June 18, 2019, through Sunday, July 28, 2019
Teaching Intern Responsibilities
- Assist one or two different Mentor Teachers
- Help prepare class activities, assignments, quizzes, projects, and other aspects of the course such as grading, report writing, etc. under the direction of the mentor
- Teach at least two full period in each assigned course
- Coach in the afternoon and/or evening athletic programs two or four days per week
- Chaperone at least four students activity trips, which includes social and extracurricular events (on and off campus)
- Live in a dorm and serve as a house adviser for 8 to 10 advisees
- Observe 10 classes (other than their own) throughout the program
- Attend and participate in the Wednesday Teaching Intern Professional Development Workshops
- Attend Critical Friends Group Discussions
- Write Adviser Reports for advisees at the end of the students' program
- Write and submit Self- and Program-Reflections/Evaluations at the end of the session before departing campus
- Additional duties as assigned
- The salary is $3,400. Room and board is provided
- Applicants should have a strong interest in exploring teaching as a potential career
- Applicants must have completed their third year of college by June, 2019
- Complete the 2019 Teaching Intern Online Application, incluing a Personal Statement.
- A current, detailed resume outlining educational background, employment and community service experiences, academic accomplishments, and athletic interests. Your resume should include your home and college addresses and contact information (email address and cell phone number).
- An up-to-date official transcript. You may submit transcript copies or student-generated transcripts (online or paper versions) while waiting for official transcripts to be sent by your school(s).
- Two letters of recommendation, at least one of which must be from a college professor who can evaluate your academic work and who can assess your potential as a teacher. Recommendations may be sent via email to email@example.com (addressed to Ms. Eera Sharma, Director of Summer Programs). Recommendations from employers or clergy are welcome.
To ensure all parts of the application have been received and completed, applicants may contact our office at (203) 697–2365 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Only completed applications are reviewed.
Note: Applicants who are re-applying after previously being hired need to submit a cover letter detailing reasons for wanting to return, an updated resume, a current official transcript, and one new letter of recommendation. Please understand that is it unusual for a teaching Intern to return for a second summer; we would like to make this opportunity available to as many as possible who may be considering teaching as a profession.
Application Completion Deadlines
- Applications should be completed by February 1, 2019.
After the Application is completed, what is next?
- Only completed applications will be reviewed. Selected candidates will be invited to campus to interview (phone/Skype interviews may be arranged as an alternate interview venue for those living abroad, or at a great distance from our campus). Contracts are issued (usually in February and March) to applicants selected for the position. Extensive background checks, including fingerprints, are part of the hiring process and positions are not officially secured until results of the background checks are to the satisfaction of Choate Rosemary Hall.
- On-campus interview dates are January 26, 2019 and February 9, 2019.
All application materials may be submitted to email@example.com, or:
Choate Rosemary Hall
Summer Programs – Teaching Internship
333 Christian Street
Wallingford, CT 06492