History of Choate Rosemary Hall
Grit & Determination 1915-1940
Rosemary Hall Potato Planting WWI
To support the war effort, each girl had a portion of ground sufficient for 25 hills which she then cultivated through the potato season.
Caroline Ruutz-Rees and the 19th Amendment
Securing a woman's right to vote was a longtime cause of Headmistress Caroline Ruutz-Rees, who was a member the Connecticut Woman Suffrage Association. She petitioned, picketed, and published to persuade the Connecticut General Assembly to ratify the 19th Amendment to the U.S. Constitution.
Memorial House, one of three Georgian-style buildings on campus, was completed in 1921 and dedicated to the memory of the 15 Choate boys who died in WWI It was designed by Francis Waterman as a mirror image of Hill House.
Designed by Ralph Adams Cram, architect of the Chapel, Archbold Infirmary opened in 1929. It was a full-sized hospital with round the clock staff. Students waiting for medical attention could be found in the Solarium, part of the present day Admission Office.
The Choate Chapel
The Chapel was designed by Ralph Adams Cram and completed in 1925, providing a spiritual center on campus.
Headmistress Eugenia Baker Jessup ’10
In 1938, Rosemary Hall ushered in a new era with the appointment of Headmistress Eugenia Baker Jessup ’10, the first new head since the School’s founding in 1890.