Choate Rosemary Hall
2021 Strategic Plan
Members of the Choate Rosemary Hall Community,
We as a school pride ourselves on who we are—a community committed to integrity, respect, and compassion. We also know that our identity cannot be defined by these words alone—it must be supported by the actions we take each day, both as individuals and as an institution.
Choate Rosemary Hall’s 2021 Strategic Plan seeks to do precisely that: to unify our commitments with our actions. Through 2019 and into the start of 2020, we, along with the Board of Trustees and senior administrators, met with students, faculty, staff, alumni, and parents, seeking far-reaching ideas regarding Choate’s current direction and reflecting upon how we as an institution need to adapt in order to benefit all of our constituents. Through these discussions and past planning processes we have learned that a good strategic plan is so much more than a checklist—it is a focused, thoughtful, and succinct way to streamline institutional priorities while giving us the flexibility to evolve, improve, and do the things we do well even better. It allows us to make decisions that honor our values. It does not redefine who we are, but instead, allows us to find better ways of embracing the best of ourselves and our community.
Through the 2021 Strategic Plan, we strive to solidify Choate as a place of action, innovation, and collaboration. We look forward to seeing these goals guide us into new projects, new strategies, and new commitments as the future unfolds.
Alex D. Curtis
Head of School
George Colony ’72
Chairman of the Board of Trustees
We will build on our tradition of providing transformational academic and extracurricular student experiences by continuously adopting new ways of teaching and learning.
- Drive excellence in our faculty and staff by embracing innovative approaches and techniques.
- Build a curriculum that emphasizes collaborative and cross-disciplinary methods.
- Maximize learning opportunities in athletics, the arts, residential life, and all community endeavors.
- Promote inquiring and respectful discourse, made richer by the different experiences around us.
We will develop good character in our students and promote respect for equity and fairness, responsible citizenship, wellness, and an innovative and positive approach to the future.
- Use core School documents to set community-wide expectations and accountability.
- Enhance current equity and inclusion initiatives by developing new community-wide programs to support our goals.
- Strengthen services and programming to support the physical, mental, emotional, and spiritual health of our community.
- Become an acknowledged secondary school leader in environmental sustainability by operating with a reduced carbon footprint and creating a climate change solutions curriculum.
Into the Future
We will better society through the contributions of students we graduate into the world.
- Educate our students in the skills, knowledge, and technology needed to thrive beyond the classroom and their time at Choate.
- Support our faculty and staff to deliver exceptional education through the Choate experience.
- Grow the endowment to support affordable tuition, need-based scholarships, an excellent faculty and staff, and a viable, long-term business model for the School.
- Create, expand, and promote opportunities for our alumni to engage with current students and their fellow alumni and participate in the ongoing Choate experience.
- Secure streams of revenue beyond tuition, leveraging Choate's physical and intellectual assets.