The program focuses on creating a deep understanding of movement by developing an awareness of alignment, strength, flexibility, and coordination of body and mind in a supportive, collaborative and inclusive environment.
Opportunities in the dance program include:
- Expanding movement vocabulary
- Building and broadening technique
- Developing compositional skills
- Strengthening collaborative skills
- Enhancing performance artistry
- Experiencing a wide variety of guest artists and master classes
A studio-based academic course is offered, introducing dance through historical and compositional perspectives, as well as dance technique classes in the afternoons.
Opportunities to engage in the creative process and perform rise out of the Dance Company, Hip Hop Club, and Step Squad. Works choreographed by students and faculty are featured in the annual spring dance concert, and in various venues throughout the local community.
Whether you arrive at Choate with years of experience or none whatsoever, you are welcome into the dance studio and onto the stage.