The Young Artists Saturdays program offers students in grades 3-8 a chance to explore their creativity for a few hours. The two programs offered, Acting and Improvisation and Visual Arts, all include a ticket to a performance at the Arts Center.
VISUAL ARTS, 10 A.M. - 12 P.M.
Students will explore art through a variety of techniques such as drawing, painting, cartooning and book illustration. The class will take both a realistic and abstract approach to art. Throughout the workshop the elements of art and color theory will be used as a guide for students as they create their artwork. Students will render their artwork in media such as pencils, colored pencils, charcoals, markers, pens, watercolor and acrylic paints (all supplies included). Students will also keep a portfolio of their artwork. Parents will be invited to explore their child’s art work and participate in the final project.
ACTING AND IMPROVISATION, 10 A.M. - 12 P.M.
Use your imagination to create entertaining characters, hilarious story plots, and exciting scenarios! Students are introduced to developmental drama, character creation and analysis, theater games, and improvisation. Students will also experience workshops in mask making, voice and diction, and musical theater. All will participate in creating, directing, and performing original monologues and scenes. Students will present an informal demonstration of their work at the end of the program.
|Sept. 23 - Nov. 18|
|March 17 - May 5|
Registration & Fees
- Early Bird: $200
Before Sept. 9 (fall session) or
Feb. 24 (spring session)
- General Registration: $225
Before registering for the program, parents are encouraged to read the Young Artists Saturday Program Terms and Conditions.
Young Artists Saturdays
Program Terms and Conditions:
- Parents must provide the completed Choate Rosemary Hall health examination form with an up-to-date immunization record, proof of physical examination signed by physician, and health insurance information (a copy of both sides of the insurance card).
- The Young Artists Program does not provide health/accident insurance.
- Tuition fees are non-refundable. Tuition fees must be paid in full before the program begins. Tuition may be refunded prior to the start of the program with proof of medical ineligibility.
- The Young Artists Program reserves the right to cancel courses due to insufficient enrollment.
- Parents grant permission to the program to release their student's name, address, and phone number to other program families and to use their student’s photo in promotional materials.
- Participants in the Young Artists Program must uphold and abide by the rules and regulations adopted by Choate, and recognize that the School reserves the right to dismiss a student at any time if, in the judgment of the Director of the Program, such action is in the best interest of the School. Such action will not release either party from the financial obligations of this contract.
- Parents agree that the participant may take part in all activities and release Choate, its staff members, Trustees, and Corporators from all liability for any injury to the participant from participation in the program.
- Children may not be dropped off any earlier than 5 minutes before class, and they must be picked up promptly at the end of class.
Visual Arts Laboratory
Children Currently in Grades 5 - 7
This new 1-week program provides students with the opportunity to experience multiple visual arts mediums with hands-on experiences. Each class will meet for about 90 minutes, encouraging students to have a well-rounded experience in the visual arts.
- Digital Photography – Students learn how to get the most out of taking pictures with their iPhone, iPad, Android phones, or other electronic devices! Students edit and enhance their photos using basic Adobe Photoshop tools.
- Pottery – Students learn how to work with a pottery wheel, manipulate and sculpt clay, and how to paint and fire their work.
- Digital Animation – Students will bring their own characters, scenes, and stories to life using digital drawing tablets and Adobe Animate to create original animations!
- Textiles – Students work with fabrics and fibers to create original pieces.
- Drawing and Painting – Students learn how to draw and paint using pencils, pastels, charcoal, oils, watercolor, and tempera.
Children Currently in Grades K & 1
In this 2-week program, students are introduced to the basic skills of theater and visual arts. Students uncover their innate creativity and their imaginations are sparked through the use of dramatic play, improvisation, theater games, drawing, sculpting, and painting in activities designed for early elementary school level.
Children Currently in Grades 2 - 7
In this program, students gain foundational skills in drawing, painting, cartooning, acting, singing, dance, theater games, improvisation, voice projection, mask-making, and movement. These skills help students create characters and scenes for the stage, while self motivation and confidence grow in a noncompetitive atmosphere. Morning activities center around visual arts, theater games, singing, and dance. The afternoons offer students the opportunity to be creative in a more relaxed atmosphere as well as enjoy swim time at the Larry Hart Pool.
Students present an informal demonstration of their work at the end of each session. When possible, we recommend student engagement in both sessions to allow for a continued development of skill through a deepening of experience.
2018 Session Dates & Tuition
2019 Dates & Information will be available in February
Visual Arts Laboratory
1-Week Program | 8AM - 5PM
June 25 - June 29
- Available for students currently in grades 5 - 7 only
- Early registration discount through May 31 – $375
- Regularly – $400
- Tuition fee includes snacks and supplies
- Classes run Monday through Friday and begin promptly at 8:15 a.m.
- Flexible pick up: 4:30 - 5:00 p.m.
- There will be a showing of student artwork on Friday, June 29th.
Junior Visionaries & Rising Visionaries
2-Week Programs | 8AM - 5PM
Session I: July 2 - July 13 FULL
Session II: July 16 - July 27 FULL
- Available for students currently in grades K & 1, and grades 2 through 7
- Early registration discount through May 31 – $775
- Regularly – $820
- Tuition includes lunch at Hill House Dining Hall, snacks, and supplies
- Classes run Monday through Friday
- Flexible drop off: 8:00 - 9:00 a.m.
- Flexible pick up: 4:00 - 5:00 p.m.
- Students may register for all four weeks, as the activities differ for each session.
Please note there is no morning program in 2018.
FOR MORE INFORMATION
Please contact the Summer Programs office at (203) 697-2365.
Each child must have had a physical exam by a licensed physician within the past two years. No child may attend the program without submitting our completed medical form, including an up-to-date immunization record and a copy of both sides of an insurance card serving as proof of coverage.