Wild Boars Football
The football program at Choate has a rich history and tradition of excellence that dates back to the year 1900. Choate plays an eight-game schedule in the highly competitive Class “A” New England Prep School Athletic Conference and is part of the Founders’ league.
Head Coach L.J. Spinnato has coached Choate football since 2009 and was appointed as Head Coach in 2014. In his tenure, the team has a 53-3 record with 5 Overall New England Championships. The coaching staff at Choate is committed to developing student-athletes for future success in life, while fostering a positive and successful football experience for their players.
No matter the player’s experience or skill level, Choate football has a place for student-athletes with full interscholastic schedules on both the varsity and junior varsity levels.
Points of Emphasis and Program Goals
- Cultivate a team-oriented learning environment where students and coaches enjoy the football experience every time they step on the field.
- Develop and hone the skills and attitudes necessary for all players to achieve personal and team success.
- Promote a hard-working and up-tempo brand of football rooted in respect and sportsmanship.
- Instill character, work ethic, confidence and team skills in our student athletes that will ready them to make positive contributions in society.
- Education and Citizenship: Choate football players are held to a high standard. They are committed and proactive students as well as dependable, involved, and respected leaders in our community.
- Service: Playing football at Choate is a privilege. Choate football players and coaches understand how fortunate they are and actively engage in activities that give back to the greater community.
Football After Choate
The coaching staff actively works with Choate’s College Counseling Office to ensure student-athletes are pursuing higher education and athletic opportunities at top colleges and universities worldwide. In the past seven years, 88 Choate football players have gone on to play college ball: 13 FBS Division 1, 46 FCS division 1, 1 Division 2 player and 28 division 3 players. Additionally, two recent graduates occupy current roster spots on NFL rosters.
Where We Play
The football team plays in both Maher Field and Wilken Field. Our teams compete each fall as a member of Eight Schools Association and Founders League.