Choate prepares our students to be globally competent citizens instilled with the intercultural awareness necessary to be leaders in an ever-changing world. Our globally relevant curriculum equips students with the fluency, skills, and capacity to examine and question their own perspectives while also listening to and empathizing with the cultures and traditions of others.
As the epitome of experiential education, Choate's Global Programs offer authentic and transformative off-campus opportunities that maximize participants' understanding of and empathy for others. These experiences are designed to build independence, self-reliance, resourcefulness, and adaptability through exposure to new ways of living and thinking. Ultimately, our programs cultivate global citizens with a commitment to improving the welfare of others and a desire to be a positive force in the world.
Language and Cultural
Choate operates nine-week academic term abroad language programs in Beijing, China, Paris, France and La Coruña, Spain. These experiences are designed to broaden students' geographical, historical, linguistic, and cultural knowledge while maintaining Choate's high academic standards and emphasis on character and skill development. Rather than offering students a sightseeing experience, our programs extend an invitation for students to immerse themselves in the language, daily routines and cultural habits of another country for an extended period of time.
Common elements of Choate's programs include oversight by an in-country Choate program director, daily language instruction, and interdisciplinary studies taught in the target language by native speakers, experiential learning through cultural excursions and field trips, and living with a host family.
Choate also offers five-week summer programs in France and Spain, and a four-week Arabic language and French language summer program in Morocco.
Open to all students, with preference given to those enrolled in classics, Choate students may spend a fall academic term at St. Stephen's School in Rome, Italy. Arabic language students have the opportunity to spend the fall term at King's Academy in Madaba, Jordan.
Short-Term Off-Campus Experiences
Choate students and faculty have the opportunity to participate in short-term (7 to 14 day) cultural and academic service-focused student exchange, musical performance, and team sports trips. In the past five years we have offered the following opportunities:
Cultural and Academic Focused:
- Cuba (2018)
- Critical Issues Forum sponsored by the James Martin Center for Nonproliferation Studies: Monterey, CA ( 2014, 2016, 2018) Hiroshima, Japan (2015), Nagasaki, Japan (2017)
- Global Symposium hosted by Seifu Nankai Junior and Senior School, Osaka, Japan ( 2016, 2017)
- Saudi Arabia (2015)
- Exploring Arabic Influences in southern Spain (2016, 2018)
- Cayambe, Ecuador (2014, 2015)
- Oaxaca, Mexico (2014, 2015)
- Cheyenne River Sioux Tribe Reservation, South Dakota (2017)
- Ajumako, Ghana (2017)
- High School Affiliated to Fudan University in Shanghai, China (2014-2018)
- Hosting of The Skinners' School Model UN Team from Kent, England (2014, 2015, 2017, 2018)
- Boys Crew Team - Henley Royal Regatta, England (2016)
Pre-Season March Break Training Trips:
- Boys Baseball, Florida (2014, 2015, 2016, 2018), Atlanta (2017)
- Boys and Girls Crew, Florida (2014, 2015, 2016, 2018)
- Boys and Girls Golf, South Carolina (2017)
- Boys Lacrosse, Florida (2014, 2015, 2016), Virginia (2017, 2018)
- Girls Lacrosse, Florida (2014, 2015, 2016), Arizona (2017) Nevada (2018)
- Boys and Girls Tennis, Florida (2014, 2016, 2018), Dominican Republic (2015)
- Girls Water Polo, Florida (2014, 2015, 2016) Connecticut (2017)
Faculty Programs and Exchanges:
- International College of Beirut in Lebanon (2014-2018)
- Mutiara International Grammar School in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia (2015)
- Climate Change Educator Program, Bolivia (2015)
- Best Practices in International Experiential Education, Nepal (2016)
- Collaborative Leadership Program, Cuba (2016)