Reporting to the Assistant Director of Human Resources, the Payroll and Human Resources Assistant provides a wide variety of HR support and utilizes our Human Resources Information System (HRIS) to administer bi-weekly payroll functions for approximately 200 employees.
This is a full-time, year round, benefits eligible, non-exempt staff position.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Responsible for the entire bi-weekly payroll function which includes: process bi- weekly payrolls, prepare necessary payroll reports and employee maintenance records, and manage tax withholding questions and changes.
- Manages the electronic time and attendance system for hourly paid employees.
- Provides support and management of the entire HRIS database and applications, compiling data for reports and surveys. Provide back-up for the monthly payroll function when necessary.
- Administer TIAA-CREF reporting and on-line payment submissions, ensuring ERISA compliance.
- Provide a wide variety of HR support, including assisting employees with general HR related questions/concerns and supporting the HR team.
- Assist with providing all requested information to auditors for annual pension, school financial, and workers' compensation audits.
- Assist with providing information to the Financial Office for completion of the annual form 990.
- Administer and coordinate Workers' Compensation procedures. Report 1st report of injury claims to our WC insurance vendor. Complete all OSHA reports. Act as liaison between WC insurance vendor, employees, and providers. Provide employee wage statements to workers' compensation vendor. Follow up on lost time claims, coordinate payments between vendor and payroll, and send FMLA paperwork. Track workers' compensation claims. Attend Safety Committee meetings. Coordinate Ergonomic Program.
- Self-monitor payroll processes and run internal audit reports to maintain compliance with employee deferral maximums, tax withholding, health savings accounts maximums, and other deductions.
- Assist with salary survey completion and maintain the accuracy of the staff compensation budget.
- Track employees' vacation balances, ensuring non-exempt employees are accruing the correct paid vacation balances. Pro-rate holiday paid time for part-time benefits eligible employees. Respond to employees' payroll questions and resolve issues.
- Track employees' sick time, sending FMLA paperwork when appropriate. Manage medical leave pay adjustments.
- Assist with new hire onboarding and paperwork verification/compliance.
- Other related duties as assigned.
- Bachelor's degree preferred or equivalent experience and the completion of payroll training.
- Minimum 2 years experience in an independent payroll position. Human Resources experience strongly preferred.
- Must know the Fair Labor Standards Act and payroll tax regulations.
- Strong outlook, word and excel skills with expertise using automated payroll systems required.
- Excellent customer service and communication skills.
- Excellent organization skills with attention to detail.
- Must work independently, maintain confidentiality, communicate well with all employee groups, and have the ability to quickly change priorities.
- Must be extremely reliable and have the ability to consistently adhere to rigid, recurring deadlines.
To apply, please click on this link: http://employment.choate.edu/job/141645/payroll-and-human-resources-assistant