Young Artists Summer Programs
The Choate Young Artists Programs in Performing and Visual Arts seek to develop an appreciation for live theater and visual arts in all of our young artists.
Each Young Artist is given an opportunity to find and develop their own passion and talent. All sessions start with an introduction to each art-form and the means to find inspiration. The second half is dedicated to creativity and collaboration. Students write their own scripts, construct their own dances, arrange their own music, and design their own original works of art! Themes are built into each session to give purpose and guidance, while also allowing young artists to understand and experience how each art form is reliant and supportive of all the other art forms. An informal presentation of student work will take place at the end of the session.
Visual Arts Laboratory
Children Currently in Grades 5 - 7
This new 1-week program provides students with the opportunity to experience multiple visual arts mediums with hands-on experiences. Each class will meet for about 90 minutes, encouraging students to have a well-rounded experience in the visual arts.
- Digital Photography – Students learn how to get the most out of taking pictures with their iPhone, iPad, Android phones, or other electronic devices! Students edit and enhance their photos using basic Adobe Photoshop tools.
- Pottery – Students learn how to work with a pottery wheel, manipulate and sculpt clay, and how to paint and fire their work.
- Digital Animation – Students will bring their own characters, scenes, and stories to life using digital drawing tablets and Adobe Animate to create original animations!
- Textiles – Students work with fabrics and fibers to create original pieces.
- Drawing and Painting – Students learn how to draw and paint using pencils, pastels, charcoal, oils, watercolor, and tempera.
Children Currently in Grades K & 1
In this 2-week program, students are introduced to the basic skills of theater and visual arts. Students uncover their innate creativity and their imaginations are sparked through the use of dramatic play, improvisation, theater games, drawing, sculpting, and painting in activities designed for early elementary school level.
Children Currently in Grades 2 - 7
In this program, students gain foundational skills in drawing, painting, cartooning, acting, singing, dance, theater games, improvisation, voice projection, mask-making, and movement. These skills help students create characters and scenes for the stage, while self motivation and confidence grow in a noncompetitive atmosphere. Morning activities center around visual arts, theater games, singing, and dance. The afternoons offer students the opportunity to be creative in a more relaxed atmosphere as well as enjoy swim time at the Larry Hart Pool.
Students present an informal demonstration of their work at the end of each session. When possible, we recommend student engagement in both sessions to allow for a continued development of skill through a deepening of experience.
2018 Session Dates & Tuition
2019 Dates & Information will be available in February
Visual Arts Laboratory
1-Week Program | 8AM - 5PM
June 25 - June 29
- Available for students currently in grades 5 - 7 only
- Early registration discount through May 31 – $375
- Regularly – $400
- Tuition fee includes snacks and supplies
- Classes run Monday through Friday and begin promptly at 8:15 a.m.
- Flexible pick up: 4:30 - 5:00 p.m.
- There will be a showing of student artwork on Friday, June 29th.
Junior Visionaries & Rising Visionaries
2-Week Programs | 8AM - 5PM
Session I: July 2 - July 13 FULL
Session II: July 16 - July 27 FULL
- Available for students currently in grades K & 1, and grades 2 through 7
- Early registration discount through May 31 – $775
- Regularly – $820
- Tuition includes lunch at Hill House Dining Hall, snacks, and supplies
- Classes run Monday through Friday
- Flexible drop off: 8:00 - 9:00 a.m.
- Flexible pick up: 4:00 - 5:00 p.m.
- Students may register for all four weeks, as the activities differ for each session.
Please note there is no morning program in 2018.
FOR MORE INFORMATION
Please contact the Summer Programs office at (203) 697-2365.
Each child must have had a physical exam by a licensed physician within the past two years. No child may attend the program without submitting our completed medical form, including an up-to-date immunization record and a copy of both sides of an insurance card serving as proof of coverage.